Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 is about to premiere Shibuya Arc, which is the series’ longest and most emotional arc.
It completely changes the dynamics of the whole story. The arc is said to be the most emotional and unpredictable in the whole series. It also remains one of the most popular arcs as Volume 15, the last of the chapters of the Shibuya arc, has set a record with 1.5 million copies open in sales.
Fans can barely wait to see the arc in animation, but they have to wait a little bit. The second season of Jujutsu Kaisen will premiere in July 2023. There will be a lot of new characters and many new mysteries in the new season. The Shibuya arc will split up the cour, and thus it had to be something worth waiting for.
So, what is the Shibuya Arc in Jujutsu Kaisen? Get the complete plot details, all the major fights in the arc and more information.
What is Shibuya Arc?
The Shibuya arc is the sixth arc of the Jujutsu Kaisen Manga. It spans from chapters 79 to 136, after the Gojo Past arc. It is currently the longest arc in the whole Jujustsu Kaisen series.
The main objective of the arc was Geto’s plan to remove Gojo from his way to succeed in his evil plans. Cursed Spirits and Curse make an alliance and prepare the stage to capture Gojo in Shibuya station.
The arc begins with Gojo reminiscing about his first meeting with Megumi. We get an introduction of Geto Suguru, a former jujutsu sorcerer possessed by the cursed spirit of the infamous sorcerer Kenjaku. Along with Mahito, Hanami, and other powerful cursed spirits, they plan to unleash a catastrophic event in Shibuya that will kill thousands of innocent people and open a portal to the cursed realm.
Yuji and his companions, including Fushiguro and Kugisaki, are sent to Shibuya to stop the cursed spirits and prevent the disaster from happening. However, they quickly find themselves outnumbered and outmatched.
Geto reveals his plan to use the power of Sukuna to kill all the sorcerers and create a new world order in which cursed spirits can coexist with humans.
As the battle rages on, many characters are forced to confront their past and their own personal demons. Nanami, a jujutsu sorcerer who had previously resigned from his duties, sacrifices himself to save his companions.
Meanwhile, Yuji confronts the full power of Sukuna within his own body and struggles to maintain control. In the final battle, Yuji and his allies face off against Geto, Sukuna, and the remaining cursed spirits. The battle is intense, with both sides suffering heavy losses.
In the end, Yuji manages to defeat Sukuna, but at a great cost. His friends and allies are left to pick up the pieces and prepare for the next threat that will surely come their way.
The arc ends with many great sacrifices and leaves a dark and emotional memory for Yuji and his fans. After this Yuji Itadori Extermination arc begins, where Itadori Yuji becomes the target of examination for the sorcerers by the higher-ups.
Major Fights in Shibuya Arc
- Kokichi Muta vs. Mahito – Mahito defeats Kokichi and Mechamaru Mode: Absolute.
- Satoru Gojo vs. Jogo, Hanami, Choso & Mahito – Satoru Gojo casts out Hanami and a thousand Transfigured Humans. Pseudo-Geto is given ample time by Jogo, Choso, and Mahito to attack the Prison Realm and seal Satoru.
- Yuji Itadori vs. Grasshopper Curse – Yuji exorcizes the Grasshopper Curse.
- Takuma Ino vs. Ogami & Her Grandson – The grandson of the Ogami family is inferior to Ino, but she buys enough time for him to change into Toji Zenin. But then, Ino gets crushed by Toji.
- Yuji & Megumi vs. Awasaka – Yuji and Megumi defeat Awasaka.
- Mei Mei vs. Niji Ebina– Mei Mei defeats Ebina.
- Nobara & Nanami vs. Shigemo – Shigemo overpowers Nobara, but Nanami joins the battle and brutally beats Shigemo into submission.
- Mei Mei & Ui Ui vs. Smallpox Deity – Mei Mei exorcizes the Smallpox Deity with the help of brother Ui Ui.
- Yuji Itadori vs. Choso – Choso defeats Yuji after a long battle but doesn’t finish him off.
- Jujutsu Sorcerers vs. Dagon – Dagon tries to imprison everyone inside the Horizon of the Alluring Skandha. Megumi arrives too late to help, so Toji takes charge of the situation after accidentally being let within the realm.
- Toji Fushiguro vs. Dagon – Toji exorcizes Dagon with no effort.
- Megumi Fushiguro vs. Toji Fushiguro – Toji commits suicide to finish the séance to save Megumi.
- Sukuna vs. Jogo – Sukuna defeats Jogo effortlessly.
- Sukuna vs. Mahoraga – Sukuna defeats Mahoraga with the help of Megumi.
- Yuji & Nobara vs. Mahito – Mahito overpowers both and nearly kills Yuji, until Aoi rescues him.
- Yuji & Aoi vs. Mahito – Yuji defeats Mahito with the help of Aoi.
- Jujutsu Sorcerers & Choso vs. Pseudo-Geto & Uraume – Before Uraume kills the sorcerers and Choso, Yuki Tsukumo interrupts. Along with the Prison Realm, Pseudo-Geto and Uraume escape.
- The Shibuya Incident – Pseudo-Geto successfully seals Satoru Goj, and twenty-three wards of Tokyo are in danger of getting swarmed by cursed spirits.
The Shibuya arc is the threshold of every great twist, story progression, and character development throughout the series.
Before the arc, with Satoru Gojo on one side, the fans were assured of an advantage for Yuji and his teammates. But with him and Nanami gone, Yuji has lost both of his mentors. This will also be the beginning of the better development of Yuji as a person, student, sorcerer, and vessel.
It’s obvious that every fan is eagerly waiting to see the arc adaptation. Now, it’s up to the animators and the team of Jujutsu Kaisen anime to not disappoint fans.